Monday, March 3, 2014

The World Is Waiting For Your Vision

Imagine for once YOU had the "winning idea." Imagine you had the "solution" to change the world. Without action or voicing it, your idea would merely drift away from your thoughts like a wave in the sea.  Without planting your idea and nourishing it, your idea would never blossom. However, if you were to share that idea with others and were able to make that idea into reality - imagine the impact you would make.

Capturing the sunrise in Wyoming during my road trip to California
Capturing the sunrise in Wyoming during my road trip to California.
Four years ago I journeyed 3,000 miles away from the comfort of my Philadelphia home to an unfamiliar city in Northern California because I had a dream. A dream to eradicate poverty by closing the opportunity gap and work with tech companies to share high-quality resources to underprivileged communities (pretty specific, right?). I had a dream that I could make a difference. I didn't know how I would do it, but I wanted to make the world a better place by making it more equitable.

I shared this radical idea with numerous of strangers I met through random conversations in coffee shops and during networking events until one day I connected with someone who shared a similar vision as mine. After years of hard work, preparation and execution I was able to help a nonprofit educate over 3,000 girls in computer programming in the United States and co-founded a computer technology program in a rural village in South India. Often I sit and wonder, "What would have happened to the lives I have impacted (and to my life which has drastically changed) if I never shared my vision with the world and trusted the universe to connect me to others?"

Teaching a student how to type during my stay in South India.
Blessed and humbled, I thank God every day for allowing me to go on this adventure but I know this is just the beginning of my journey. The universe is listening and waiting to conspire like-minded individuals to go out and do great in the world. This journey is not easy, it is not clear but one day the dots will connect. You just need to have faith in your work. 

What is your vision?  What idea are you holding on to? I know it is hard to imagine that you, yes you, have the next big idea the world is waiting for - but you really do. By giving your all and sharing your vision with others, the world will be able to benefit and connect you to others that will help bring your idea to life. You just have to believe in it and work towards it. As stated best by Helen Keller, "Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." 

A group picture celebrating the finale of Startup Weekend Oakland - Black Male Achievement.
The world is waiting for your vision. We all have something to contribute to the world…I wholeheartedly believe that to be true. 


Peace and Blessings.

Love,
Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment